This fine shot of a blue-liveried 46231 Duchess of Athol outside the Paint Shop at Crewe Works was taken by W H Foster, who donated the slide to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Preservation Trust for money raising purposes.Established in 1988, the origins of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Trust can be traced back to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society when a group of Rochdale railway enthusiasts led by Richard S Greenwood, formed the L&Y Saddletank Fund and acquired 3 locomotives, a carriage and 3 wagons.The majority of the 2Ps were allocated to sheds on the old MR system, chiefly in the Midlands.(Below) Introduced in 1928 these 4-4-0s were the result of Sir Henry Fowler's post-grouping development of the earlier MR Class 2P with modified dimensions (smaller 6ft 9in driving wheels) and reduced boiler mountings.
No 70 were built for use primarily on local passenger services, four on the Western Region, the rest on the London Midland Region.(Inset) The class was developed from the original five 7ft 'Compound' 4-4-0s introduced in 1902 by Samuel W.Johnson, 3-cylinder compound arrangement comprised one high pressure cylinder inside the frames, and two low pressure cylinders outside.(Below) This dinky-sized 'old timer' is one of Aspinall's 0-4-0 saddle tank designs, introduced in 1891 for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and designated Class 21.Note the wooden blocks on the buffer beam which were ideal for dock shunting purposes.